From education in zoology, teaching ESL, and web design, to working with horses, riders, and medical patients, my knowledge and work experience are diverse. No matter where I am or what I'm doing, I always look to for ways to improve things: processes, experiences, aesthetics, communication, organization, effectiveness...everything, including myself. Right now, my focus is using my skills to create delightful experiences for web users.
Select a skillset:
- creative problem-solving
- Microsoft Office Suite
- copy editing
Medical Office Administrator
East Liberty Medical Centre
May 2013 – Mar 2016
- Mastered use of EMR (Telus PSSuite) and implemented many of its unused features to improve efficiency, communication, and ease of use for admin and medical personnel.
- Produced and edited office documents, forms, and patient handouts for improved clarity, thereby reducing error and patient confusion.
- Provided administrative and sales services (record keeping, billing, filing, copying, phone, email, fax, etc.) for over 20 medical professionals and delivered superior client care to their patients, while maintaining strict confidentiality of records.
- Introduced and improved many organizational systems (eg. hanging files, computer files, etc).
- Barn Staff Rossland Stables Ajax, ON Oct 2012 – Apr 2013
Riding Academy at the Horse Palace
Oct 2011 – Jul 2012
- Oversaw all administrative duties and fulfilled multiple managerial roles for a busy riding school, including: lesson scheduling, event development and promotion, customer service and client communications, account maintenance, staff and instructor scheduling, hiring new barn staff, etc.
- Redeveloped and implemented new, simpler riding lesson reservation and payment structure in response to booking challenges; rewrote and redistributed payment and cancellation policy.
- Reinforced branding by designing and printing new promotional materials, forms, documents, and on-site decor.
- Developed and taught a 6-part advanced interactive lecture series for students working toward their EC Rider Levels 4-6.
- Initiated and grew social communication strategies via Facebook, Twitter, and a renewed and re-styled mailing list.
Schomberg, ON & Ocala, FL
Oct 2010 – Aug 2011
- Cooperatively tended to daily care of upto 24 show and sale horses in Ontario and Florida, including 7 Grand Prix showjumpers.
- Organized daily events regarding local horse shows: clipping and trimming horses; coordinating staff schedules at show and horse transport to/from venue; and packing, setting up and maintaining equipment.
- Managed small group of staff and horses at ‘away’ shows, including FEI World Cup qualifiers in Wellington, FL & Blainville, QC, and FEI Grand Prix at Bromont, QC.
- Overhauled interior setup of equipment trailer; streamlined and reorganized its contents.
Horse Show Photographer
Apr – Sep 2010
- Served as official horse show photographer for 3 schooling show circuits, and presented a slide show at year-end awards banquet.
- Built and maintained custom website for promotion (including review of proofs) and online sales.
Researcher / writer
Animal Behaviour and Welfare Group, Department of Animal and Poultry Science, University of Guelph
Jul 2008 – Feb 2010
- Developed protocol, designed and built apparatus, executed experiment, and collected and recorded data for a study on perseverative learning in captive mink for a PhD candidate.
- Cooperatively reviewed, compiled data, and wrote research report on interrupting stereotypic behavior in captive animals for publication in a scientific journal.
Show Groom / Barn Staff
Crossfield Farms / York Equestrian Riding School
Apr 2005 – Jan 2010
- Cooperatively managed upto 35 school horses and competitive hunters & jumpers at home and at horse shows, including daily feeding, turnout, mucking, veterinary care, etc.
- Supervised and assisted riding school students in the barn before and after riding lessons.
- Barn Staff CornerStone Farms Stouffville, ON Apr – Aug 2004
- Web Development Bootcamp Bitmaker (GA Toronto) Toronto, ON Mar 2017
- Standard TESOL Certificate (with Distinction) Coventry House International Toronto, ON Jul 2008
BSc Honours (with Distinction): Zoology, Psychology
University of Guelph
- Peer-helper for vertebrate anatomy lab for 2 semesters.
- Created winning design for infamous course "survivor" t-shirt for Invertebrate Zoology (2006).
- Participated in 2-week Tropical Ecology field course in Selous Game Reserve, Tanzania.
- Completed independent research project on interrupting stereotypic behaviour in fur-farmed mink and presented research poster for Ontario Biology Day 2008.
- Participated in editorial focus group with professor writing an evolution textbook.
Associate Diploma (with Distinction): Equine Studies
University of Guelph, Kemptville College
- College Royal Horse Show Committee: designed all printed materials (programs, course maps, etc), lead jump design and painting.
- Obtained CEF Rider Level III.
- Completed NCCP Coaching Theory 1.
- Obtained St John's Standard First Aid Certificate.
Interpretive Volunteer: Panda Ambassador
Oct 2016 – Present
- Using biofacts and other manipulables, engage and educate visitors with respect to biology and conservation of giant pandas and giant Chinese salamanders.
- Semi-Annual Charity Concert Volunteer Upper Canada Choristers Toronto, ON 2002 – Present
- Science Fair Judge Taylor Evans Public School Guelph, ON Feb 2008
- Editorial Discussion Group Member University of Guelph Guelph, ON Jan – Apr 2007
- Peer Helper: Vertebrate Structure and Function University of Guelph Guelph, ON 2006 – 2007